Monday 2 March 2009

Wowzers

What a joyful afternoon I've had. I have been blessed by the kind folks at tru-thoughts with some fantastic promos from Stonephace, Kinny & Nostalgia 77. Where to start, well as you may have learnt from my earlier post, I am very excited about the debut album from Stonephace (including amongst other the legendary Portishead guitarist Adrian Utley), so today I got the chance to listen to a new track "Five Miles High". Exciting stuff, a trance enducing bass-line, pshcadelic guitar riffs, shoe tapping beats combined with gentle horn stabs and some classic jazz flute. More please.

Right next up the self titled album from Nostalgia 77 Sessions featuring Keith and Julie Tippett. Yes yes yes, more exciting stuff a classical jazz album here methinks. I was sent two tracks Visions and Rainclouds. Out of the two Visions was the stand out track for me, Julie Tippett's vocals a first for me were outstanding like a deeper more soulful Norma Winstone. These vocals also featured heavily on "Rainclouds" and made exquisite use of layering, which was reminiscient of some of TM Juke & Alice Russell's work. Definitely gonna get my hands on this album.

And Last but not least Kinny, two more tracks, and two more winners, this is exciting times for Tru Thoughts, I think I have a new track of the moment, a soulful number featuring the appropriately named DJ Souldroup "Water for Chocolate". This one took me back to J Dilla's (R.I.P) perfectly sampled numbers, a great mix of samples and fresh music topped with Kinny's impecable vocals. And as a little treat for y'all here is Kinny's video for her track "Enough Said" (feat Quantic Soul Orchestra) enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment