Monday 24 May 2010

Time to learn.

I've decided I want to be in a New Orleans' Brass Band, so I better start learning a brass instrument. Of Course this isn't a new phenomenon, The Dirty Dozen Brass band & The Rebirth Brass band have been killing it for ages, but the recent popularity of The Hot 8 Brass Band thanks to their cover of 'Sexual Healing' and The Youngblood Brass Band, have seen a rise in commercial value for Brass Bands.

For me the energy is never as authentic as when you see it in the proper setting of New Orleans, something I would love to do in real life, but for now I'll just have to settle for watching videos of it on youtube. Anyways there is a great youtube channel called 'Big Red Cotton' which is well worth checking out. It shows lots of different Brass Bands and 'second lines'(some amazing dancers). The following video is one of my favorites, it is The TBC Brass Band peforming '9mm' a David Banner cover, a song I wasn't familiar with but having listened to it since I can safely say that the TBC's version is far far superior. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment